Doesn't have a point of view
5.02.2004
building castles in the sun
and singing fun fun fun.
This entire weekend has been spectacular. Even though finals are soon, it was a much needed break. I am so relieved that I can finally sleep.
Here's the complete weekend recap. Thursday night was the dreaded organic chem exam which I can't say went too well. After that, I got my traditional ice cream at the RCC and walked through the sprinklers to the TEK. They were all waiting for me to watch the movie so I felt a little guilty with my cup of double chocolate almond goodness. There, I saw Better Luck Tomorrow which was rather disappointing after all that I had heard about it. I didn't think it was that well made or captivating. What was up with those dance scenes? What public high school student dances like that and to that kind of music? That was not the movie's biggest flaw. I saw an overall lack of natural transition between scenes and the definitions inbetween frames was creative but unoriginal. I was too aware of the director's attempts to be artsy. After the movie, I went back to the MECCA to read some of my book and to help Huyen think of something to do for Chau's birthday.
As I have been doing, I fell asleep reading in the comfy chair and woke up to crawl into bed early in the morning.
Friday: Despite my goal to get up early, I slept in until 9:30 and didn't get much done before orgo. Dress-up for tea in class was turned down 2:1, sorry Elizabeth. Well, all day I was pulled between people trying to make plans for Chau. Arg. Don't try to plan anything with people that are more indecisive that yourself. Elizabeth and I had planned to surprise Eric for a late birthday present and storm his radio show.
I went to see Viet's presentation of chem research at 1:00. I thought it would only take 15 minutes, but he wasn't the only one to present. By the time I left, Eric's show was just ending. I called the show to meet up with them to walk to washington mutual. It feels good to deposit the same amount that I just spent.
After some confusion about where to meet each other, the three of us walked to the bank then to the blue mountain thrift store. There wasn't much to be found. I think Eric bought a skinny 80's tie. But I did meet a man who shares my life dream. He saw me looking through the 45 RPM records and told me that he had just gotten a vintage jukebox. Even though it holds only 80 records, he has collected over 300 in hopes of one day owning that jukebox. This gives me hope for my own future. As we were about to leave, I spotted these awesome little plastic onion pins that say walla walla. We each got one of those.
I went home to the MECCA and then was hauled off to an interest house barbeque. At least it was in the ampitheater and at least they had good potato salad and fresh grilled corn. Knee-high by the 4th of July? Where did they get corn in May? After the barbeque, I again tried to finalize plans with Huyen for Chau. Luis was supposed to be free to take us to the wheatfields to see the sunset, but he could not be found. Instead we heard that Tuan was playing at the Outhouse Unplugged (umm... fresh bread and good music). We stayed to see Tuan, Sebastian, and Jason played a song for Chau and some Neil Young. I realized that it was getting close to coffeehouse time so I left there, abandoning Chau and Huyen.
Home at the MECCA, I changed clothes to try to fit in with the people that I expected at coffeehouse. The show was Y.A.C.H.T., Thanksgiving, Oliver White (Lamplighter), and MIRAH!. Mirah was cool but by that time I was feeling a little sleepy and most of her songs were sort of similar. I loved that part when Y.A.C.H.T. performed and everyone was standing up and indie half dancing.
AhhhhH!HHH!HH!HH!H!H!HH!H!H!H!H ATTACK of the killer mosquitoes. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Someone save me. Mosquitoes (which I learned to spell in 1st grade) are one of my greatest fears and they are in my room. One bit me while I was eating my pre-blogging orange. Please rescue me.
The whole show was great and I am greatful for my rockin' friends Elizabeth and Eric for sharing it and the entire weekend with me. As Elizabeth would say, I less than three (<3) them. The bands passed around this plastic pelican (repeatedly mistaken for a stork) to drop money in for the band's gas money. Kevin E. seemed in shock at the coffeehouse turnout and that people were giving money. I bought an Oliver CD hand silkscreen and am listening to it right now. Eric Lindsey is laughing on a track. I am so jealous. What else? I'll add more details later as there are plenty. Kangroo and cookie pins.
After that, Elizabeth and I pretended to leave Eric to his job. That was a lie. We returned with ice cream. Mint chocolate cookie with 20 candles. Neither of us knew how to operate a lighter and I think I burned my fingernail. Yeah! I'm glad that Eric was happy. We hung out with him until close to 2. Then I read and fell asleep in the comfy chair again. See what I mean? Ok, I need to break for food but I will give the Saturday story later.