Doesn't have a point of view
5.31.2005
warm, warmer, disco
Well, well. As always, I am behind on my posts. Too bad Lillian is likely done with her paper or my belated birthday gift could be a series of posts every five minutes.
The most significant occurrence in the last few weeks was the near drowning of my friend Sharon. I was visiting her in Davis and went with her to school to watch her swimming class. Swimming class turned into a very scary experience. I have never come so close to visibly losing someone so important in my life. Luckily, I was able to stay with her in the ER until my parents arrived. I kept kicking myself as we sat in the hospital for not having at least a pen with me to keep myself from thinking about the whole ordeal. Instead I bit my lip and tried hard not to cry until finally I devised a distraction by trying to sing the women + men song to myself with the lyrics in the correct order. That made me laugh more than the man next to Sharon who kept threatening to unplug himself and walk out if he was not given his cell phone soon. I should report that Sharon is doing fine now and was kept overnight to be monitored for signs of pneumonia. Despite Sharon's stay in the hospital, I am glad that I got to visit Davis and, especially, that I got to see and spend time with her.
My time in da 'bra (again stolen from Felix) has been successfully uneventful mostly due to the horrible condition of our only easy and safe to drive vehicle. My plans for the coming week include catching up on good food and a visit to Little Ethiopia and maybe even Thai Town. Last night, my parents and I went to Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles for the first time. I would highly recommend both their fried chicken and their waffles but would suggest only eating there once a year to avoid clogged arteries. Their food was also the type that would be remembered as infinitely delicious if consumed on an empty stomach or late at night.
Today I began the task of my supposed 3 hour training for my summer fellowship with PNNL. Because it is a government lab, I had to read all about the threat of terrorism and espionage along with learning how to use a fire extinguisher. The most exciting part was the animated gifs of the four types of radiation and the interactive charts. I felt like a true dork for being excited without any of my chemistry crew around. Did you know that an unmarried man loses more days in his life from being an unmarried man than from pretty much anything else (including light exposure to radiation)? Although I am thankfully not a man, the similar statistic for women along with my initiation back into a world of tv and movies has got me on the lookout for a husband.
I probably have more. Maybe tomorrow I will tell you about my dream of statue graveyards, Eric, and Lillian in light pink converse. Right now it's time for me to dream some more and then get up to start my series of appointments with a trip to the doctor. Maybe I'll get to go in my dad's '57 cameo if the normal car is not fixed in time. Oh man, I hear Carson Daly on the tv. We're past the late late and into the last call. Good night and just in case you don't know me well enough, I'm kidding about the husband thing.