Doesn't have a point of view
7.28.2007
millions of posts
Yes, there are more coming. There have been quite a few post ideas swirling around in my head for a while, but I have not been motivated to do anything about them.
This is the personal one.
Fort Collins is pretty great so far. The town is pretty great, but i have seen very little of its greatness. At this point, I don't know many people and I am not outgoing enough to ask them to participate in activities with me. Fort Collins is also very well-oriented for young people, by which I mean that their social activities circle around drinking. There seem to be fewer family events going on than there were in Washington.
Somehow, when I lived by myself in Richland, I was never this bored or unmotivated. I never sat for hours alone in my room wondering what I was missing out on outside of its boundaries. I would even occasionally go for walks along the river or go shopping at Target or to the library or on a run for a black raspberry shake at Zip's drive-through. I even went to a few concerts by myself.
Here, I have tried looking on the internet for things to do, which always works in LA. I have tried looking for reviews of places to eat which also ALWAYS works in LA. Here, I have found very few things that I am willing to try on my own and it is pretty much unlike me not to make the effort.
But Fort Collins is great. There is a bike path on almost every street. There are places to go hiking just 5 minutes away. There are about 20 public parks including an ever expanding community garden. The downtown has all sort of cute shops. There is an independent movie theater which also serves food. There's also a $2 theater and a drive-in. There are lots of vegetarian restaurants and earth-conscious businesses. There's a pretty good grocery store which is a little like a Whole Foods but cheaper and less fancy. There are also supposedly the best donuts in America, even praised by Calvin Trillen, my forever favorite food writer. I am going to try very hard to force myself to leave my house tomorrow morning to buy an apple fritter from them because I have to see what all the praise is about. Just yesterday, I went out for boba with my group, inspired by the other girl from California, and found a restaurant whose second story is a boba stand featuring lollicup products. There is even a local radio station which features good bluegrass, americana, world, and even rockabilly music.
I can't believe that I only have one more weekend before I start graduate school things. I can't believe that so many of my weekends have gone to waste.
My new housemate just got here yesterday. She has a dog that is rather large and pants a lot. I am afraid to open my door and look at him.