Doesn't have a point of view
8.19.2007
wish list
There are times when I hate wanting to acquire more material objects. There are other times when I just feel like buying things. Recently, I have felt like buying new things. Actually, I have just been thinking of all the things I hope to someday own. Here is my list:
1. I went back to school shopping last week. I love school supplies and shopping for them. This is not part of my wish list really because I already own it, but I am so excited that I had to say that I purchased a box of 64 Crayola crayons. I have not had a new box that large since I was in first grade. I remember arguing with Brad constantly about who had the better colors in their box. Now, Crayola writes the color names in 3 languages, English, Spanish, and French. I am so excited to learn how to say burnt sienna in Spanish and French.
2. I start graduate school tomorrow. I am slightly excited to learn new things, but I am not too excited about being a TA for general chemistry. Lillian said that I am going to be TA Troyer. Hehe. In order to manage all of my new responsibilities, I think that I need a good planner. Google calendar is wonderful, but I cannot carry it around with me everywhere. I would like to own either of these planners.
a) An illustrated redwood planner from Jill Bliss of Blissen.
b) An illustrated planner from Little Otsu. This one comes in two sizes. I think the mini one might be perfect.
3. I own this cute, empire waist, black dress from H&M. Unfortunately, I have had it for several months and only worn it once or twice. To really be in style, I decided that I need some leggings to go with it. I did not appreciate H&M enough while I still had it nearby. Black leggings at American Apparel are $26.00. That seems like too much to me, so I'm scoping out some at Target instead.
4. While looking for leggings, I came across this dress at American Apparel. Apparently, you can wear this dress 30 different ways. You can supposedly even wear it as a skirt or a shirt. I figure that a simple solid color dress that is this versatile will never completely go out of style. I haven't decided which color I like best. Probably raspberry, which is not an option.
5. To go with a new dress, I would definitely need new shoes I've been wanting to join the crocs trend as soon as I decided I would be moving to Colorado, and as soon as I saw this new design. I think that I could pull off these shoes with both jeans and casual dresses, plus they are super cheap and likely comfortable. This is another item where I am held up on color. Black would be the wisest choice, but how can I pass up something like Celery or Sea Foam.
6. Now for the larger items, these are more or less objects which I hope to own before I own my own house. Although, it would be nice to wait and have a kitchen aid mixer which exactly matched the color of my kitchen. Because of how much I enjoy baking, I am sure that I would find a use for a KitchenAid mixer. If I owned one, I might even force myself to learn to make bread. Until I am out of grad school, I will be happy with my handheld mixer that I got at a thrift store in Walla Walla.
7. The other big item that I would love to own, but I cannot afford is a sewing machine. I did some research and picked out the Viking Huskeystar 224. Unfortunately this model is no longer being produced. Fortunately, this may increase my chances of obtaining one used. There are endless projects that I cannot quite finish without a sewing machine. Often, I just sew by hand, but it takes a million times longer and does not look nearly as nice. Without a sewing machine, I will never be able to make my oilcloth belt to match my oilcloth wallet.
8. I would also like to own a food processor. This one looks about right for my needs. I doubt that I will need a 7 cup processor anytime soon. These are actually cheaper than I expected, so I might invest money in one sooner than I thought. With this, I would be able to make my own pesto and I would actually puree some of my soup recipes.
9. My housemate's boyfriend owns one of these ice cream makers. I also see that it is recommended by Baking Bites. Using this model is easy and making ice cream is fun. With the price of milk currently so high, I should probably wait until I have enough money to make ice cream regularly.
10. Once I own an ice cream maker, I would love to own this book by David Lebovitz. The Perfect Scoop sounds like the perfect ice cream book, full of a variety of interesting recipes for ice creams as well as sorbets and granitas.
11. Another book which I would like to own is Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. I already own Madhur Jaffery's World Vegetarian and I think that I need both of these to be ready to make healthy, cheap meals.
12. One of my last items is a solar radio. I came across two different models on Treehugger (a) (b). Both are only sold in Europe which means that shipping would cost too much. Right now I do not own a radio at all. I figured with so many days of sun in Fort Collins, that I could recharge a radio during while I am at school and then come home and listen to Democracy Now while I cook dinner. Fort Collins had a great local radio station, KRFC. The University also has a radio station which I hope is as promising as it looks.
13. Okay, okay. That was a long list. I will end with my last wish. You have heard it before but, I would still love nothing more than to own a pair of Pendleton Wool vans. I waited so long that they are not even sold off the Pendleton website anymore. By the greatest miracle ever, there is a slightly used pair on sale right now on ebay which are exactly my size. I placed a high maximum bid, so I had better win them, but I might ask a friend to check on the auction for me while I am in class. Any volunteers? I will come up with something wonderful to send you. :)